History

The history of 63/65 High Street...

 

  • 1832 by the Stone Family and for 20 years it was Parker’s Bakery

  • 1861 ‘The Queen’ A beerhouse named in honour of Queen Victoria

  • 1878 Miss Amelia Cuddeford’s Boarding School for Young Ladies

  • 1890’s Tommy Raddon a tailor turned part of the building into a ‘Temperance Hotel’

  • 1924  Tom Raddon split the property and leased part (now Hartley Antiques) to Edward Harrison, another tailor

  • 1948 Herbert Rumbold a bicycle dealer purchased the property

  • 1969 Jock McVey purchased and turned it into a newsagents but still carried on bicycle repairs

  • 1982 Mallows Newsagents part of BPM properties

  • 1993 Dillons Newsagents part of T & S Stores PLC

  • 1997 Derek & Sally Green turned it to private ownership

Restored many original interior features, including the shop front and the untouched fireplace from the 1890’s; this was found behind the magazine racks, as was the wooden panelling in the reception area.

  • 1998 Cedar Antique Centre was opened

  • 2007 The centre changed ownership and was renamed Farthingales

  • 2011 New ownership & management implementing needed updates to the centre including rebranding to Hartley Antiques

Restored the exterior windows on shop front and signage. Redecoration & renovation programme including new room on third floor. Emphasis on quality items and introducing new delaers appropriate to the centre and its clientele.